Thursday, January 31, 2008

Discussion Question 2

I believe that the most important environmental problem is Climate Change, but it does not stand alone as many of the other environmental problems feed into it, like deforestation and consumption.  Climate change will affect the entire globe, making life worse for many people by making weather more extreme and unpredictable.

In my own life I try and reduce my carbon footprint, which is high because I have done a lot of traveling, by eating mainly locally produced and grown food, as well as being a vegetarian.  I also do not own a car and try to ride my bike or walk as much as possible instead. I believe that current consumption rates must go down, which I don't think will worsen out standard of living, because it is not goods that make us happier, but relationships and feeling economically secure, instead of having to over-reach to 'keep up with the Jones'.  Also promoting locally grown food, and the eating of more reasonable diets, without all of the processed food and huge amounts of meat would have a huge impact if more people  did that. I think that people can change and would change if they knew the true meaning of their actions and if they learned what they could do to help.

No comments: