Friday, March 21, 2008

Over break, I had a conversation with a Kogod business major after I told him that I was very interested in environmental studies. The first thing he did was roll his eyes, laugh, and say, “Oh you’re one of those.” I refrained from getting offended and instead asked his opinion on things.
He said that government and saving the environment will never coincide. He felt that as long as business is for profit, the environment will come second. Businesses have no drive to save the earth. And, he explained, it is absurd for the government to enact legislation because there is no mode of regulation to back it up.
My response began with the acknowledgment that business is for profit, and I doubt that will ever change. But, I said, the environment does not have to come second. I feel that businesses can take responsibility for the environment, AND make a profit. In fact, the environmental factor can enhance a businesses appeal. I agreed with his assertion that the government cannot impose rules if they go unregulated. Because then, some will follow and others just won’t.

No comments: