Thursday, April 17, 2008

Cradle to Cradle: Subverting the Paradigm

I was actually quite skeptical of Cradle to Cradle after reading the introduction because it seemed as though the authors were so quick with accusations but were not offering solutions. However, as I entered the "Eco-Effectiveness" chapter, my concerns were eased. In fact, their ideas are so exciting that I began imaging how I could get 'soil roofs' in my own neighborhood.

I think William McDonough and Michael Braungart are definitely on the right track. Their idea of ELIMINATING the concept of waste revolutionizes environmental thinking. While it is a daunting idea, I have come to believe from this class that revolutionary ideas are necessary at this point. We cannot work within the paradigm, we must change the paradigm.

Also, I especially connected with their idea of "recycling as an aspirin." This is a great way to describe how society has come to see their participation in saving the environment. I have been thinking throughout this semester about the language of environmental politics, and this contributes to my thinking. Recycling is an aspirin because people see environmental problems to be the Earth's concern, so recycling is helping the Earth...something they don't really have other invested interest in. However, if the language of environmental studies focused on human health, as the authors do throughout this book, it would be understood as a more dire concern to individuals personally. I believe this is one of the main objectives of Cradle to Cradle--to reposition the issue as one of personal concern. Discussion of medical implications will do that to a person.

This book is great, I am really looking forward to discussing it because I am eager to hear it others see it to be practical. I felt at times that their suggestions were unfeasible, but then I reminded myself of my conclusion about subverting the dominant paradigm. Reading this book shows why it is so hard for society to accept revolutionary ideas, but with more books like this, revolutionary will become the new paradigm.

No comments: