Wednesday, February 20, 2008

It's a tech world

Technology will not SAVE us but it is one of the most promising solutions to environmental problems, in my opinion. Technology is so engraved in every part of our lives that it is never going away. At the moment, technology is one of the largest problems concerning the environment because the technology does not take the environment into account. However, I feel that markets will soon demand a change in the purpose of technology, and this is fundamental. As more people become increasingly concerned with the environment, as the the trend is heading, people will also demand that their technology be environmentally friendly. As we talked about in class, I agree that the economy drives just about everything. So, since the economy is so reliant upon technology, if people want technology to help the planet, then it will.

I am very optimistic about the potential of technology. To "save" us means that it slows the damage we are doing, and I think that someday there will be technology that actually reverses damage. I know that some people think that the damage is done, and while I agree that we cannot re-freeze glaciers, bring back extinct animals, or replace the ozone layer, I see hope if re-planting forests, and cleaning water that is currently deemed un-usuable. I see future technology cleaning the air and "greening" communities and cities. I am hopeful.

It is very important for us to understand that this optimism is by no means a reason for us to sit comfortably while "someone" fixes things with cool technology. Ohh no. This wonder technology will only get to that point if we continue to pursue environmental issues with full-force, and if we, make dramatic lifestyle changes in addition to the technology. Technology alone will not save us. But with a concerned people, it will significantly help.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I completely agree! Technology can undo or stop much of the damage that is being done, but we have to know how to focus it. I do not, however, see public interest in these concerns growing. Instead, I see the technology and interest moving towards more harmful ways, ie new nano technologies. I suppose one might argue that these items will place a smaller amount of waste into the environment. But, I see this as very very dangerous. These smaller items are creating competition within the market, which is great from an economists' perspective, but not from an environmentalist's. This competition will drive down the prices for the original ipods or phones or whatever was before the new "improved" smaller item. You're definitely right in that the technology needs to be focused and the environment should be number one on the tech agenda, but I don't think we're getting there. Hopefully, we can change.